Skip to main content

Cobb Divinity School records

 Collection
Identifier: CA02.80

Scope and Content Note

These records contain catalogs, programs, reports, correspondence, notebooks, and other documents recording the administration of the Cobb Divinity School.

Dates

  • 1872-1908

Creator

Access Restrictions

The collection is open for research.

Use Restrictions

The collection is the physical property of Edmund S. Muskie Archives and Special Collections Library. Bates College holds literary rights only for material created by College personnel working on official behalf of the College, or for material which was given to the College with such rights specifically assigned. For all other material, literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. Researchers are responsible for obtaining permission from rights holders for publication or other purposes that exceed fair use.

Historical Note

The Cobb Divinity School was a training institute for Freewill Baptist ministers, and was sponsored by Bates College. It was known simply as the Theological School from its creation until 1887, when it was renamed in honor of L.H. Cobb, a local businessman and prominent supporter of the School. The Divinity School existed from 1870 until 1908, when it was disbanded and its faculty and selected courses were integrated into the college as the religion department. The School was housed in Roger Williams Hall.

Extent

1 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

This collection contains the records of the Cobb Divinity School, a training institute for Freewill Baptist Miniters sponsored by Bates College.

Organization and Arrangement

The records are organized into three series: I. Catalogs; II. Commencement and anniversary exercises; and III. General information.

Creator

Title
Guide to the Cobb Divinity School records, 1872-1908
Status
Edited Full Draft
Author
Pat Webber
Language of description
English
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Description is in: English
Edition statement
©2011

Repository Details

Part of the Edmund S. Muskie Archives and Special Collections Library Repository

Contact:
70 Campus Avenue
Lewiston Maine 04240 United States of America
207-786-6354
207-755-5911 (Fax)