Skip to main content

Bond for title to land for Maine State Seminary, May 5, 1856

 File — Box: 1, Folder: 2
Identifier: CA0282/02

Scope and Content Note

From the Collection:

The Maine State Seminary Records includes handwritten materials relating to the founding of the Maine State Seminary, later called Bates College. The collection includes petitions signed by citizens of 14 towns requesting the State incorporate and endow the Maine State Seminary (Jan-Feb 1855); the 1856 bond giving title for the land where Bates College was built, signed by Ammi R. Nash and Alonzo Garcelon; bills and correspondence concerning the construction of Hathorn and Parker halls (1856-57); Maine State Seminary faculty meeting minutes (1857-1859); a grade book covering the period 1861-1863; a registry book containing lists of graduates and recipients of various honors and awards; and correspondence (1854-1856) of the building committee concerning the construction of Hathorn Hall, of which the first cornerstone was laid on June 26, 1856. Correspondents in the latter file include G.S.H. Bryant, William H. Littlefield, Francis Lyford, and William P. Frye.


  • May 5, 1856


Access Restrictions

The collection is open for research.


From the Series: 1.42 Linear Feet (1 manuscript box, 1 volume)

Language of Materials

From the Collection: English

Repository Details

Part of the Edmund S. Muskie Archives and Special Collections Library Repository

70 Campus Avenue
Lewiston Maine 04240 United States of America
207-755-5911 (Fax)