8. 92nd Congress, 1971 - 1972
Scope and Contents
This sub-subseries includes the following types of files from the 92nd Congressional Session: individual case files; case/project files; correspondence files; resource and resource/correspondence files; scheduling files; sponsorship/cosponsorship files; personal files of Dan Lewis and Clint McCully; files related to the Public Works Committee Subcommittee on Air and Water Pollution; miscellaneous files; and copies of bills maintained for campaign purposes.
Since the 92nd Congressional Session coincided with Muskie's most intense period of campaigning for the 1972 Democratic Presidential nomination, the press files for this session include a significant amount of material beyond what is contained in most sessions' press files. This material includes extensive lists of local media outlets across the country, clippings files organized by publication and writer names, a small number of polls, and a set of files from 1935-1971 (bulk dates 1961-1971) that contain Muskie speeches, statements, etc. arranged topically.
- 1971 - 1972
Five categories of materials are restricted in the Muskie papers, all of which are noted in container lists, internal database records and physically on the affected boxes and folders. In many cases, restricted material comprises only a portion of a restricted folder. Researchers may request access to a restricted folder, in which case archives staff may review the folder and provide access to any materials that should not be restricted.
1. Student academic records: Restricted for 75 years from date of creation. Contained in Series I; will be open without restriction in 2011 (box 11) and 2064 (box 13). Information about a particular student may be released to that student.
2. Materials restricted to protect personal privacy: Restricted for 75 years from date of creation. Occurs in Series II, V.A.1, V.A.3-V.A.12, V.B and V.C; will be open without restriction on a rolling basis from 2032-2055. Includes case files, personnel files and items bearing Social Security Numbers. Case files and personnel files may be released to the individuals about whom the files were created, or to others if the individual about whom the file was created is deceased and releasing the file is unlikely to significantly impinge upon the personal privacy of a living individual. Redacted copies of items bearing Social Security Numbers may be released upon request.
3. Confidential Congressional committee reports: Restricted for 50 years from date of creation. Occurs in Series V.C; will be open without restriction around 2018. Reports restricted per consultation with NARA Center for Legislative Archives.
4. Susan Harrigan’s diaries: Restricted per donor agreement; access requires written permission of donor until April 5, 2024 or death of donor. Occurs in Series VI.F and XVII.A.
5. Potentially attorney-client privileged and/or proprietary materials: Closed until further notice. Occurs in Series VII, Boxes 120-141 and several unprocessed boxes of materials received from Jane Muskie’s estate. Includes records from Chadbourne, Parke, Whiteside & Wolf that likely contain attorney-client privileged and/or proprietary information intermingled with non-attorney-client-privileged material documenting Muskie’s professional work from 1980-1996.
145.5 Linear Feet (307 manuscript boxes and 2 index card boxes)
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
This sub-subseries is arranged by file type.