Student Volunteer Movement/Student Christian Movement, 1936-1937
Scope and Content Note
This organization was created at Bates circa 1878, and was known as the Bates College Student Christian Association, or often just Christian Association. By 1892, there were separate organizations for men and women, although it is unclear whether they existed at an earlier date. The two groups existed separately until 1936, when they were merged, becoming known as just the Christian Association. At this time the Council on Religion was also disbanded, having been formed earlier to coordinate the activities of the two groups. In 1964 the name was changed again, to the Campus Association. The organization existed under this name until disbanded in 1993.
It should also be noted that this group maintained strong ties to the Young Men's (and Young Women's) Christian Associations, and undertook a variety of outreach and charitable activities in the surrounding communities as a part of these ties. Records for the Bates YMCA and YWCA are included in this series.
This collection is open for research.
From the Series: 4 manuscript_boxes
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
General Physical Description note