Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Abstract Contains a journal and a bound volume of lecture notes by Bates professor Benjamin F. Hayes. The journal was begun in the 1850s to record a wide range of interests from slavery to phrenology, and includes a red piece of cloth purported to be a piece of the flag which was raised over the mansion house in Alexandria by Col. E. E. Ellsworth just before his assassination. Ellsworth is often claimed to be the first casualty of the Civil War.
Dates: 1854, undated
Abstract Historic newspapers, including several issued during the Civil War from both northern and southern states.
Abstract The collection is comprised of correspondence, journals, and assorted papers of several members of the Anthony, Waterman and Angell families of Rhode Island which document in detail family, social, educational and religious life in the nineteenth and early twentieth century, particularly in New England. Includes significant material on Alfred W. and Harriet W. Anthony, including their time in Bangor, Maine where Alfred served as pastor of the Essex Street Free Baptist Church and his involvement...
Dates: 1802 - 1985; Majority of material found within 1861 - 1909
Abstract The collection contains some of the papers of Pierre Garcelon (1685-1772), William Green Garcelon (1786-1872), Alonzo Garcelon (1813-1906), and Charles Augustus Garcelon (1842-1935), among other family members. Of particular note are William Garcelon's financial records related to the estate of Jackson Davis, an Indian agent for the Penobscot tribe; Civil War letters written by Alonzo Garcelon, Surgeon General of Maine, and C. A. Garcelon, a volunteer in the 16th regiment of Maine volunteers;...
Dates: 1750-2010, undated
Abstract The collection consists of 38 letters written between 1862 and 1865, most to Levi and Elizabeth Hanford of Hobart, Delaware County, N.Y. by four of their nephews: James Oscar Hanford, Horace S. Hanford, Chauncey D. Hanford and Crandal B. Hanford. These men served in the 144th New York Volunteer Infantry, a Delaware County Regiment during the Civil War. The Regiment, which was organized into 10 companies, drilled at Camp Delaware located near Delhi, New York. It was sworn into Federal service on...
Abstract An 1864 diary kept by Richard Calvin Stanley, Bates College professor of Chemistry and Geology, during his trip to New York City and Washington D.C. as a delegate of the Sanitary Commission, a private organization that provided comfort to Union soldiers during the Civil War.
Abstract Thomas Angell served as language professor at Bates College from 1869-1902. Shortly after arriving at Bates, Angell was granted a leave of absence for one year which he spent in France and Germany, devoting himself to the study of language and literature. The collection contains his diaries from January 1, 1859-July 24, 1870 in which he writes about: life as a student at Brown University; enlisting in the Rhode Island militia as aide de camp for General Tourtellotte during the Civil War; the...
Abstract The collection contains original and copies of letters of several members of the Wentworth Adams family, including: Edwin Oberlin Wentworth, an itinerant printer and Civil War soldier, to his wife Caroline (Warren) Wentworth and to his father Robert Wentworth of Buxton, Maine; Anna Wenthworth Adams, daughter of Edwin and Caroline Wentworth; and Edith and Edwin Adams, Anna's children. The collection also inlcudes a detailed history of Bates College in the 19th century written by Edwin W. Adams...
Dates: 1803-1966, n.d. 1849-1864
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 X
- Bates College (Lewiston, Me.) 4
- Free Will Baptists (1780?-1911) 2
- Adams family 1
- Angell, Thomas L., 1837-1923 1
- Anthony family 1
- Anthony, Alfred Williams, 1860-1939 1
- Cobb Divinity School 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Cavalry Regiment, 15th 1
- Garcelon family 1
- Garcelon, Alonzo, 1813-1906 1
- Garcelon, C. A. 1
- Garcelon, Pierre, 1685-1772 1
- Garcelon, William, 1768-1872 1
- Hanford family 1
- Hanford, Chauncey D., 1838 or 1839-1863 1
- Hanford, Crandal B. 1
- Hanford, Horace S., 1836 or 1837-1864 1
- Hanford, James Oscar 1
- Hayes, Benjamin F., 1830-1906 1
- Lapham Institute (North Scituate, R.I.) 1
- Maine. Governor 1
- Penobscot Tribe of Maine 1
- Stanley, Richard Calvin, 1835-1889 1
- United States Sanitary Commission 1
- United States. Army of the Potomac 1
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 16th (1862-1865) 1
- United States. Army. Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, 37th (1862-1865) 1
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 144th (1862-1865) 1
- United States. Army. Rhode Island Light Artillery Regiment, 1st (1861-1865) 1
- United States. Army. Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, 2nd (1861-1864) 1
- Wentworth family 1
- Wentworth, Edwin Oberlin, 1833-1864 1 ∧ less